Marriage & Civil Union Licenses

How to Apply
A couple who intend to be married or joined by civil union in Jo Daviess County must apply together, in person in the office of the Jo Daviess County Clerk, Jo Daviess County Courthouse, 330 N. Bench St., Galena, Illinois between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. It is important to note that a marriage or civil union license is only valid in the county in which it is issued. The application process takes approximately 20 to 30 minutes, so we ask that you arrive by 3:00 p.m.
The following information is needed to complete the application:
  • Full names of the applicants’ parents (first, middle, maiden, last)
  • State of birth for the parents of both applicants
  • Current addresses of applicants’ parents.
  • If either applicant was previously married, the date the marriage or civil union ended (month, day, year), how the marriage or civil union ended (divorce, death, etc.), and the County and State the divorce or death is recorded in.

Age Requirements
In order to be married or united in Illinois, you must be at least 16 years of age. Applicants that are 16 or 17 years of age must have their parents sign a consent form in the County Clerk’s office. If it is not possible for your parents to sign the consent in this office, it may be done before the County Clerk in your parents’ home county. Contact this office for details.
The fee is $50 for either a marriage license or a civil union. Cash or check only.
A couple may NOT be married or united until one day after the license is issued and must be married or united within 61 days from the date of issuance. Either a member of the clergy or a judge may perform a marriage or civil union in Illinois.
If you plan to be married or united by a judge at the Courthouse, please contact the Circuit Clerk’s office at (815) 777-0037 to check availability. Persons wishing to be married or united by a judge should make their arrangements in advance.
After the marriage or civil union, the person performing the ceremony must return the completed license to the County Clerk’s office. If for any reason, you do not use the license, it is your responsibility to return it to the Clerk’s office to be filed. Under no circumstances should a license be destroyed after it is issued.
Illinois law does not require witnesses.