Planning & Development
The Planning & Development Department is responsible for administering and enforcing the County's building code, zoning ordinance, Guest Accommodations Ordinance, Subdivision Regulations, and Telecommunications Ordinance, including: reviewing building plans; issuing building permits, zoning certificates, occupancy certificates, and Guest Accommodations Licenses; inspecting buildings under construction; and providing information to contractors, individuals, and others on code and ordinance requirements. The Planning & Development Department also provides administrative support for the Planning Commission/Zoning Board of Appeals. The Planning & Development Department also assists the Floodplain Officer with administering the Floodplain Ordinance, works with the Health Department and the Sheriff's Office in the administration and enforcement of the Nuisance Ordinance, and issuing all addresses in the unincorporated area of Jo Daviess County.
- CLICK HERE to take the Planning & Development Satisfaction Survey
- 04-21-21 Press release - What, When, Why of Permitting
- Adult Use Cannabis - Use Regulations
- Things to Know About Renting a Place to Stay in Jo Daviess County
- Fee changes implemented on June 1, 2018. Resolution & complete list can be found here.
- The Building & Zoning Office has been changed to the Planning & Development Department.
- Title 8 - Zoning Regulations
- Title 9 - General Subdivision Provisions
- Title 7 - Building Code
- Title 4 - Chapter 6: Guest Accommodation Ordinance
- Title 10 - Flood Damage Prevention
- Title 4 - Chapter 8: Telecommunications Facilities
- Title 5 - Chapter 4: Inoperable Vehicles; Garbage & Debris
Greenways & Trails
On March 10, 2009, the Jo Daviess County Board adopted the Jo Daviess County Greenways & Trails Plan as an amendment to the county's comprehensive plan. The plan brings information together in a usable format to enhance our understanding of the county's resources and the greenway and trail opportunities that exist here. The Plan is now available to the public and can be used in many ways.
Some of these maps are very large and will take some time to load depending on your Internet connection. (Acrobat Reader 8.0 or higher is recommended.)
- Jo Daviess County Greenways & Trails Map(6MB)
- Regional Trails Map (1MB)
- Community Maps
- Existing Conditions(2.9MB)
- Navigable Waterways(1.8MB)
As of May 1, 2013, all addresses issued in the unincorporated areas of Jo Daviess County will be issued by the Planning & Development Department. The Planning & Development Department is located in the Jo Daviess County Highway Building, Hanover IL. Please direct all address inquiries to:
Jo Daviess County Planning & Development Department
1 Commercial Drive, Suite 1, Hanover Illinois
11" x 17" Zoning Map(Low Resolution)
20" x 40" Zoning Map(High Resolution)
(Please be Patient - a Large File -
Will Take Time to Download)